● Prepare and Follow “To Do List” - as a Daily/weekly planner to write important study activities. Do the same for monthly activities so that you can plan in advance.
● Avoid Interruptions and Distractions - Learn to say ‘No’ according to your study plan to basic distractions e.g. internet, games mobile, TV etc.
● Reading Speed - Generally, one reads 100 words per minute in mother tongue and 50-75 in any other language. As a habit, read few words; understand their meaning and usage on a daily basis.
● Read Early in the Day when your mind is clear and sharp as your grasping is at its best.
● Read in the Proper Position - Angling your reading material at 45 degrees improves reading speed and reduces eye strain. Avoid reading on a bed. Always prefer to sit on a chair.
● Paraphrase in own words, write key words and summarize to make personal notes.
The best effective order while taking notes is:
Listen ->Look- ->Think- -> Understand --> Paraphrase --> Make Notes
● While reading, underlining important points and preparing notes is helpful.
You can boost your motivation in some of the following ways:
● Set short-term goals and give yourself a reward when you achieve a target.
● You should target for zero option for all subjects.
● Find a source of inspiration: who or what could inspire you to complete your goals?
● Positive self-talk like “I am going to prepare perfectly for this exam.” improves your motivation.
Some techniques to improve your memory-
● Relax Your Mind – Being relaxed allows us to think clearly. Thus, we tend to perform effectively and efficiently. Under tension we struggle to remember information..
● Use Your Body and Senses to Improve Your Memory - It has been said that people remember 90 percent of what they do, 75 percent of what they see and 20 percent of what they hear.
● Mental Imagery - Use visualization by creating mental images that you can associate with the information you are trying to learn. The more visual you can make the learning process, the easier to remember the information.
Identify your Learning Style
Visual : Visual learning style involves the use of seen or observed things, including pictures, diagrams, demonstrations, displays, handouts, films, flip-chart, etc.
● SQ3R Technique –
Suggestions: Before the exams-
● Devote more time and attention towards weak areas
● Even Under nervousness/ pressure never study the entire night before a paper. Mind gets clogged and you might forget what you knew nicely also.
● Having a calm, cool and relaxed attitude towards examination is beneficial and can be gained only after good preparations.
Keep your Answer sheet neat as possible with :
● Never leave an exam hall early. You can utilise available time for checking and rechecking. There is always something you can do to improve your answer sheet.
Tips to success!!
● Focus on one activity at a time - reading only; not reading while watching television.
● Meditation, Yoga, simple breathing exercises improve concentration.
● Avoid studying when attention is persistently wandering.
● Avoid using excess of coffee or tea to improve concentration.
● Stop daydreaming. Stand up and walk around to stop daydreaming.
● Lastly, learn to enjoy study.