Car Body Designer
Have you ever filled your notebooks with drawings of cars? Are you a total gearhead who still loves to play with cars?
Car design is an exciting and creative hobby, but one which rarely materializes into a job. The hesitation of pursuing a career in car designing, or any design field, is still prevalent in India. But if you one those who don't fear taking the road less traveled then, you are defining at the right spot.
WHO IS A CAR/AUTOMOBILE DESIGNER?
A Car designer is someone who creates practical yet innovative ideas for new automobiles.
In simple words, automobile designers work on every aspect of a vehicle’s design, from the final appearance to overall functionality. They choose how a car is shaped, along with what color it will become to be as attractive as possible and attract sales. However, they are also responsible for functionality – including making sure the vehicle functions as well as it looks.
- Automobile designers specialize in the ideas, layouts, and overall make-up of automobiles and automotive components.
- The process begins with brainstorming and deliberating with supervisors and clients about the requirements, specifications, and preferences for the design, followed by an enormous amount of research into the production of the vehicle.
- Once everything is decided, an automobile designer will sketch a drawing, typically using CAD software, but initially sometimes with pencil and paper.
- The designer will also look at previous car models to determine if any design factors will affect or limit manufacturing by collaborating with automotive engineers.
- Based on a set of mathematical formulas and detailed calculations, as well as computer programs, the designer will then develop a unique and innovative design to fit the needs of supervisors, clients, and consumers, but that also reflects the company’s standards and values.
SCOPE OF A CAREER IN AUTOMOBILE DESIGNING-
- Over the years, India has registered a very rapid growth and rising trend in the automobile manufacturing industry thereby making it one of the best destinations for automobile designing in the world.
- The recent report of the Society of Indian Automobile Manufacturer suggests that India has sold more than 1 million cars last year with a growth rate of more than 12% per annum.
- So, with all these achievements in the automobile industry, a qualified candidate can easily grab a very good job opportunity which is usually accompanied by an attractive remuneration package.
SKILLS REQUIRED TO BE AN AUTOMOBILE/ CAR DESIGNER?
While looking for a job, we search about the responsibilities, scope, qualification, etc required for a particular. But we often forget the most important factors i.e career interest, aptitude, and personality, needed to be considered, while applying for a job.
Some of the basic aptitude, personality, and interest required to succeed in this career are-
THINK YOU POSSES THE ABOVE QUALITIES?
CLICK HERE-> TO FIND OUT HOW MUCH YOU KNOW YOURSELF AND DISCOVER YOUR HIDDEN ABILITIES
HOW TO BECOME AN AUTOMOBILE/ CAR DESIGNER?
Your passion may have already equipped you with all the necessary knowledge but a Bachelor of Design or Master of Design degree will develop the professional in you and prepare you for a career in car design.
Course Name: Post-Graduate Diploma Programme in Industrial Design (PGPD) with specialization in Transportation and Automobile Design.
Eligibility: Graduates in Architecture and Engineering
Course Name: M.Sc[Engg.] in Automotive Product Design
Eligibility: 4-year degree in Engineering or equivalent / Graduate in science with 1 or 2 years of Industrial experience.
- Complete a portfolio of your design work through course projects or jobs during your student years to market your skills to employers.
- Find an internship or part-time job with an auto manufacturer during your undergraduate years.
In addition to practical experience, you'll gain industry contacts and a chance to develop your portfolio.
- DYP-DC Center for Automotive Research and Studies, Pune.
- M S Ramaiah School of Advanced Studies (MSRSAS), Bangalore
- National Institute of Design, Ahmedabad
- Indian Institute of Technology, Centre for Design, Mumbai
- Shrishti Institute of Art and Design Technology, Bengaluru
- MIT Institute of Design, Pune
- Symbiosis Institute of Design, Pune
- Arch Academy of Design, Jaipur
Automobile designers work in OEM ( like Tata, Mahindra), Tier1( component suppliers to OEM), Tier2 (component suppliers to Tier1), engineering services and many other formats of companies.
I classify a salary based on experience and type of company.
Salary (CTC) in lac /annum in INR
Working in OEM:
Experience of 1–3yrs: min 3 lac
Experience of 4–5yrs: min 5 lac
Experience of 6–10yrs: min 12 lac
Working in Tier-1:
Experience of 1–3yrs: min 2 lac
Experience of 4–5yrs: min 4 lac
Experience of 6–10yrs: min ~8 lac
Working in Tier3:
The salary depends on company policy. No big standard followed for engineers. However, we can work here till you gain knowledge,,, if company doest acknowledge you can try for other options.
Mostly they push you to client location for work or work in house for customer projects. Salary may be equivalent to the Tier-1 company.If you are lucky in getting abroad assignment min 10 lac INR/annum can be saved.
ALTERNATIVE CAREER OPTIONS FOR AUTOMOBILE OR CAR DESIGNER
-There are some industries outside of the automotive industry that offer employment for industrial designers. These industries include the production of electronic products, bicycles, and just about anything else you may find on the market.
-Other careers related to industrial designing include drafters, industrial engineers, and architects. In all three of these alternative careers, professionals must be able to draw out plans for products or structures and put into computer data banks using CADD software.