Prosthetic and Orthotic Engineering is a medico-engineering profession which deals with
Their job entails
• Close study of the
• An assessment of the muscles involved, flexibility, tone
• Preparation of blueprint, model or cast
• Carrying out trials on a specific device before finalization
• Making minor changes, adaptations of shape and size and fit
• Seeking approval
• Prosthetic and orthotic technicians assist in the preparation of the devices Materials used for the device may vary - wood, leather, plastics,
• Involve themselves in the care of patients with full or partial loss of limbs.
• They design devices such as artificial limbs and braces which are also called prostheses
• Work with patients with limb or spine related disabilities
• They study orthopedics, amputation surgery, post surgical prosthesis, applied mechanics and
• Design and create custom made braces and other corrective devices known as
Employment Opportunities for Prosthetics Engineer:
• Armed Forces
Artificial Limbs Manufacturing Corporation of India (ALIMCO)
How to become Prosthetics Engineer?
Stream: Science PCM
• Selection Test
Prosthetic & Orthotic Engineer
• Diploma/ Degree
Prosthetic & Orthotic Tech/Engineer*
Prosthetic & Orthotic Tech/Engineer
*Prosthetic & Orthoptic Technicians/ Engineers pursue a diploma course of two year duration or degree course of 4½ years. There is a 6 month practical internship. Selection for the course is through competition.
Many medical colleges conduct courses and practical internship
Median Pay Scale / salary of Prosthetics Engineer
A prosthetic Engineer earns an average salary of Rs 219563 per year.
To keep exploring, head on to our page on career banks and blogs on different careers, entrance exams, courses, college, jobs etc.