Prosthetic and Orthotic Engineering is a medico-engineering profession which deals with
Their job entails
• Close study of the
• An assessment of the muscles involved, flexibility, tone
• Preparation of blueprint, model or cast
• Carrying out trials on a specific device before finalization
• Making minor changes, adaptations of shape and size and fit
• Seeking approval
• Prosthetic and orthotic technicians assist in the preparation of the devices Materials used for the device may vary - wood, leather, plastics,
• Involve themselves in the care of patients with full or partial loss of limbs.
• They design devices such as artificial limbs and braces which are also called prostheses
• Work with patients with limb or spine related disabilities
• They study orthopedics, amputation surgery, post surgical prosthesis, applied mechanics and
• Design and create custom made braces and other corrective devices known as
Employment Opportunities for Prosthetics Engineer:
• Armed Forces
Artificial Limbs Manufacturing Corporation of India (ALIMCO)
How to become Prosthetics Engineer?
Stream: Science PCM
• Selection Test
Prosthetic & Orthotic Engineer
• Diploma/ Degree
Prosthetic & Orthotic Tech/Engineer*
Prosthetic & Orthotic Tech/Engineer
*Prosthetic & Orthoptic Technicians/ Engineers pursue a diploma course of two year duration or degree course of 4½ years. There is a 6 month practical internship. Selection for the course is through competition.
Many medical colleges conduct courses and practical internship
Median Pay Scale / salary of Prosthetics Engineer
A prosthetic Engineer earns an average salary of Rs 219563 per year.