This career requires creativity, aesthetic interest and business acumen. Product Designers design articles, products and materials for commercial manufacturing firms. They are an integral part of the ‘business’ or ‘design industry’. Their designing skills take care of both the practicality of the products they design as well as their visual appeal. Industrial Product designers
• Combine a talent for design with an understanding of production and marketing of consumer goods.
• Design or recreate products like cars, home appliances, computers, medical, office or recreational equipment, children’s toys, etc.
• Work with design engineers to design technical goods, creating the most functional and appealing design. The challenge is to make the product competitive in the market.
Product designers specialize in the following branches-Product design/ceramic design/ furniture design.
• Design departments of manufacturing firms, industries.
• Consulting firms
• Specialists in ceramic design work in industries manufacturing table ware, sanitary wares, light fittings, pottery, decorative porcelain and materials for electrical and other industries.
• Design Daku etc.
• General Motors Design
• Honda R&D
• OGS Animation
• Std XII
• Entrance Exam
• Professional course
NID/ Design schools
• Std XII
Stream: Science PCM
• Entrance Test
• Std XII
B.Fine Art/ B.Arch**
• Professional Degree
Advanced Design Course
*4 years professional course is offered by the National Institute of Design at Ahemdabad.
Details of NEED (National Entrance Exam for Design)
• Level 1- National Entrance Exam for Design Studies(NEED) conducted at Bhopal, Chennai, Guwahati, Hyderabad, Kanpur, Kochi, Ahmedabad, Bangalore, Mumbai, Calcutta and New Delhi and Oman in January.
• Level 2- one-day workshop and interviews in April/May.
• The objective of the tests and interviews is to ascertain aptitude.NEED scores are shared with the consortium members - DJ Academy of Design, Coimbatore; IILM School of Design , Gurgaon; Indian Institute of Craft & design , Jaipur;Wigan & Leigh College, New Delhi; Srishti, School of Art Design & Technology, Bangalore; Pearl Academy of Fashion, New Delhi.
• For updates on entrance test for National Institute of Design, Paldi, Ahmedabad 380007, http ://www.nid.edu and other design schools.
**National Institute of Design at Ahemdabad runs advanced programs for graduates.
***IIT Design courses: XII (Science) students can pursue B. Tech Design at IIT Guwahati. Selection is through IIT JEE.
BE /B.Arch/ BFA is the entry requirement for Master’s course in Design in IIT. Selection through entrance test – CEED.
2.96 Lakhs to 14.22 Lakhs per annum
• NID - National Institute of Design- Banglore
• National Institute of Design, Ahmedabad
• Pearl Academy, Delhi
• Apeejay Institute Of Design
• Indian Institute of Technology (Instrument Design & Development Centre) Delhi
• MAEER’s MIT Institute of Design